The Journal Register (Medina, NY)

Local News

November 2, 2012

Village waits on dissolution plan grant

Medina Journal-Register — MEDINA — Discussions of potential shared services between the village and town governments will resume Monday, but Medina is still waiting for an announcement on grant funding that would provide an accelerant in the process of honing in on possible cost savings.

The village applied in July for a $50,000 Local Government Consolidation grant. Mayor Andrew Meier confirmed Thursday that the Department of State has not yet awarded the funding.

The grant would be used to cover a majority of the costs for a plan mapping out the implementation of a village dissolution into Ridgeway and Shelby or a potential single entity encompassing all three municipalities.

It is also an important step in giving village residents, who would have the final say on any major municipal alteration.

”We can’t put an abstract idea on the ballot,” Meier said.

While the plan would provide an important resource for local leaders, Meier, Shelby Supervisor Skip Draper and Ridgeway Supervisor Brian Napoli said there are areas where they can continue to explore efficiencies without any structural changes to their municipalities.

”We’re talking about ways, with or without dissolution, to more closely work together and save costs,” Meier said.

Members of each municipality’s boards will hold their monthly shared services discussion at 7 p.m. Monday in the Shelby Town Hall. The focus of the public gathering is to look at highway and water services.

Last month’s discussions led to narrowing in on the potential to share a single water clerk between the three municipalities and the need to bring in the views of each municipality’s highway department head man.

Napoli said that Medina Public Works Chief Pete Houseknecht, Shelby Highway Superintendent Mike Fuller and Ridgeway Highway Superintendent Mark Goheen already know how to make the most of each other’s services.

Text Only
Local News