Medina Journal-Register — MIDDLEPORT — Four children and their mother are safe after their four-unit apartment building caught fire Wednesday morning in the village.
Niagara County Sheriff James R. Voutour said the family was trapped on the second floor of the burning structure.
Middleport Volunteer Fire Co. responded to the scene as did Middleport Police Chief John J. Swick. Swick and a deputy ran to the back of the building and had the woman open a window in order to toss her children down to Swick.
All five people got out of the structure safely without any reported injuries. Middleport Police were still at the scene as of 1 p.m. Wednesday.
The building, 143 Telegraph Road, is across the street from FMC Middleport, near Locust Drive.Contact reporter Joe Olenick at (716) 439-9222, ext. 6241 or follow him on Twitter @joeolenick.