Medina Journal-Register — With a winter storm descending upon Western New York, after-school activities at Buffalo’s Charter School for Applied Technologies were cancelled last evening, in the best interests of safety for its students.
Consequently, the Medina-CSAT boys basketball contest scheduled to take place last evening at CSAT was postponed. The postponement marks the second such occurrence this winter season for the two teams, as the Mustangs and Eagles were originally scheduled to face each other in a Niagara-Orleans League-opening contest back on Dec. 13.
So rather than having the opportunity to quickly resume their league slate on the first day of classes in 2014, the Mustangs are off until Tuesday, when they will travel to face Albion in a 7 p.m. start.
Medina coach Tom Forrestel said it was the first time in his decade-plus coaching tenure at Medina that he can recall this type of double postponement.
“There’s nothing we can do about it,” Forrestel said of the postponement. “We’ve just got to go with the flow and start thinking about the next game. It’s an old cliche, but we’re just going one game at a time.”
In preparation for Tuesday’s contest against traditional league rival Albion, the Mustangs will practice today, Sunday and Monday, Forrestel said. Albion and Medina split the season series last year, and Forrestel is leery of Purple Eagles junior Manny Thompson, who he credited as a standout pressure defender who has a knack for using his quickness to maintain proper positioning while pressuring.
Medina is currently 1-1 in league play and 4-2 overall, coming off a second-place finish in last weekend’s Pendleton Lions Club Tournament hosted by Starpoint HS. After falling to Starpoint by a 42-38 margin in the tournament final, the Mustangs want to focus on offensive discipline in the next few practice sessions before league play resumes, Forrestel said.